Metropolitan Transportation Plan
Metropolitan Transportation Plan 2050 Update
The Johnson City MTPO’s Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) is a federally-required document produced by the MTPO every five years that identifies projects to improve the region’s roadways, bridges, walkways, bikeways, and transit services. This plan will update the previous long-range transportation plan adopted in 2018 and address transportation opportunities and challenges in the region through the year 2050.
On this page, you will find news about the planning process and tools to share your ideas. Please read the information below to learn more.
- Draft Plan will go through a review process by state and federal agencies for compliance and comments during a period of August through December 2022.
- Final Plan and Executive Summary – The third and final public meeting will be held in January 2023 for the public to review and comment on the draft plan. The final plan and executive summary will be available online in February 2023 after Executive Board adoption.
The MTP update will include many opportunities for you to share your thoughts about transportation in the Johnson City MTPO region.
- View the interactive Social PinPoint Map of proposed future transportation projects; however, please note the map is closed for public comments.
- Check back around mid-August 2022 to view the first full draft of the Plan.
- Check back around January 2023 to view the final draft of the Plan and information on the third public meeting.
Previous Public Comment Opportunities:
- Interactive Survey - The MetroQuest survey is now closed. It was open between January 26 to March 14, 2022.
- Public Meeting No. 1 - This meeting was held virutally on March 3, 2022 at two times (12:00 PM and 6:00 PM Eastern). The meeting recording is available on YouTube.
- Interactive Map of Proposed Future Transportation Projects- The interactive Social PinPoint map is now closed for public comment. It was open between May 19 to June 17, 2022.
- Public Meeting No. 2 - This meeting was held in-person on Tuesday, May 24, 2022 for the public to review maps with proposed project locations.
Project Documents and Resources
Please check back in mid-August to view the first full draft of the 2050 MTP. In the meantime, view the following documents:
To view the previous plan, go to the current Plan's page and view:
- Johnson City MTPO 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- MTP 2045 Executive Summary
If you have any questions about the MTP update, please contact us.